International Student Insurance

Spring 2021 Insurance Requirement Questions

Has your I-20 or DS-2019 been deferred?

If yes, the insurance requirement will be waived for the Spring 2021 semester only. Please make sure to communicate your intent to stay abroad to your academic advisor in the department to which you were admitted. You may also inform your F1 International Student Advisor. Please allow until the end of January 2021 for pending insurance charges to be adjusted.

Are you a returning F-1 or Fulbright scholar that will be out of the country for the entire Spring semester?

You must send proof of travel to the UF International Center via email at by 1/22/21. Once the documents are reviewed and accepted, the insurance requirement would be waived for the Spring 2021 semester only. Please allow until the end of January 2021 for pending insurance charges to be adjusted.

Are you a returning J-1 visa student?

You must maintain health insurance the entire time you are active in an academic program. Please contact our office with any questions.

Are you a returning student in the U.S. for part or all of the Spring 2021 term?

You must maintain health insurance. Please complete the insurance waiver as appropriate.

Navigating the insurance requirement

For more information about the requirement and international student insurance plans outside the UF United Healthcare plan click below.


General FAQs

I have insurance from my home country. Will it meet the University insurance requirements?

Please note that travel medical policies or international reimbursement policies do not meet the coverage requirements. Insurance that requires you to pay out-of-pocket for medical care and then submit receipts for reimbursement will not be accepted. Insurance plans submitted must has a U.S. claims address where health care providers can directly submit claims in order to be accepted.

I am going to be abroad for a semester. Do I still need to have health insurance?

If you are planning to spend a semester abroad, and are on a F1 visa, you can send copies of your travel ticket and itinerary to the UF International Center at and copy We will inform you if you are required to have insurance for any period of time.

I am completing Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Do I need to submit an insurance waiver?

If you are on OPT you are no longer required to provide proof of insurance to the University. While you need to maintain health insurance coverage, this will not be monitored or enforced by UF.

If you are on CPT you are required to maintain health insurance. You would need to complete an insurance waiver if you wish to opt out of the school sponsored insurance.

I am on Leave of Absence (LOA) or Reduced Course Load (RCL). Do I need to submit an insurance waiver?

You should first follow up with your international student advisor at the UF International Center ( to ensure that everything has been processed and approved. If you are on an approved LOA you are not required to maintain health insurance or submit an insurance waiver.

If you are on a RCL you may still need to provide proof of insurance. The specifics will be determined by the situation. Please contact your international student advisor for more information.

I am insured through a commercial policy that does not offer medical evacuation or repatriation benefits. Do I need to purchase the school sponsored insurance?

If you have a commercial policy (such as Blue Cross, Aetna, Cigna etc.) and are on an F or J visa you would need to be able to provide proof of medical evacuation and repatriation benefits in compliance with federal requirements. The minimum coverage amounts are given in the comparable coverage requirements.

ISP Beta Scholastic can be used as a supplement to a policy that does not provide medical evacuation and repatriation. You would then need to submit an insurance waiver with this information. You would also need to submit a waiver with your primary commercial coverage.