I have insurance from my home country. Will it meet the University insurance requirements?

  • Please note that travel medical policies or international reimbursement policies do not meet the coverage requirements. Insurance that requires you to pay out-of-pocket for medical care and then submit receipts for reimbursement will not be accepted. Insurance plans submitted must has a U.S. claims address where health care providers can directly submit claims in order to be accepted.

I submitted an insurance waiver X days ago but it has not been processed. Is there a problem?

  • Please note that if you purchase insurance from one of the pre-approved plans listed here it may take some time for the insurance companies to update their enrollment websites so that we can process your insurance waiver. In busy times it can take 7-10 business days for these websites to be updated.

I am a government or employer/company sponsored student. How does my sponsor pay for my student health insurance plan?

  • If your sponsor is going to pay for your student health insurance plan they can make a payment to your bursar account. The Bursar Office can invoice your sponsor directly.

For what time period should I purchase my insurance?

  • You must purchase insurance for at least a full semester. Insurance policies submitted with coverage for a period less than a semester will not be accepted.

I am going to be abroad for a semester. Do I still need to have health insurance?

  • If you are planning to spend a semester abroad, and are on a F1 visa, you can send copies of your travel ticket and itinerary to the UF International Center at insurance@ufic.ufl.edu and copy healthcompliance@shcc.ufl.edu. We will inform you if you are required to have insurance for any period of time.

I am on an assistantship and will be enrolled in GatorGradCare. Do I need to complete an insurance waiver?

  • If you are eligible and enroll in GatorGradCare, this coverage meets the mandatory health insurance requirement. You do not need to do anything else after submitting the GatorGradCare enrollment through the enrollment site and agreeing to the mandatory health insurance requirement policy through your student account. Because of the timing, you will see the charge for the school-sponsored plan on your account until your GatorGradCare eligibility is confirmed. You should not pay this charge because it will be removed once your GatorGradCare eligibility is confirmed.
  • Specific information about the GatorGradCare plan can be found here:¬†http://hr.ufl.edu/benefits/health-insurance/gatorgradcare/.
  • You may also contact the GA Benefits Office at (352) 392-0003 or by email¬†gabenefits@admin.ufl.edu.

I am completing Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Do I need to submit an insurance waiver?

  • If you are on OPT you are no longer required to provide proof of insurance to the University. While you need to maintain health insurance coverage, this will not be monitored or enforced by UF.
  • If you are on CPT you are required to maintain health insurance. You would need to complete an insurance waiver if you wish to opt out of the school sponsored insurance.

I am on Leave of Absence (LOA) or Reduced Course Load (RCL). Do I need to submit an insurance waiver?

  • You should first follow up with your international student advisor at the UF International Center (insurance@ufic.ufl.edu) to ensure that everything has been processed and approved. If you are on an approved LOA you are not required to maintain health insurance or submit an insurance waiver.
  • If you are on a RCL you may still need to provide proof of insurance. The specifics will be determined by the situation. Please contact your international student advisor for more information.

I am insured through a commercial policy that does not offer medical evacuation or repatriation benefits. Do I need to purchase the school sponsored insurance?

  • If you have a commercial policy (such as Blue Cross, Aetna, Cigna etc.) and are on an F or J visa you would need to be able to provide proof of medical evacuation and repatriation benefits in compliance with federal requirements. The minimum coverage amounts are given in the comparable coverage requirements.
  • Trawick International offers a supplemental plan that covers medical evacuation and repatriation. Enter our school code (90) and select Plan A. You would then need to submit an insurance waiver with this information. You would also need to submit a waiver with your primary commercial coverage.